Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Big 5 Reasons I Will Not Go Back to The Church

Subtitle: The 5 reasons I know the church is not true.
Which is actually 6 major reasons. I have finished compiling my list, which is probably the biggest general overview I can get (check out the labels I know I'll be using). There's a bit of a tie, but here are the Big 5(6) and there subtitles:

1 - The Book of Abraham (translation powers of J.S.)
2 - The Adam-God Doctrine (history in the church)
3 - The Discerning Power (with examples such as Hoffman and Lyman)
4 - Teachings versus Actions (polygamy, polyandry, and also 'church funds')
5 - The 'Hetero-White-Man' Discrimination (women, blacks, and homosexuals)
5.5 - The Cult (the psychology of the church and its culture, and the burden of proof)

 They are not yet in any particular order, and as you can see, these 6 things cover nearly every major issue with the church. However, I have personalized them to my opinions and views, and I have tried to tie in major issues I see/and/or experienced to a more general foundational problem (i.e. as the Book of Abraham being a major issue with the church and its claim to 'truth' but also being only a section of the issues Joseph Smith had with translating any and all documents). Also, these topics have little to do with belief in God and atheism (except maybe 5.5) and more to do with the mainstream LDS church.

 I cannot promise that I'll get these out in any timely manner, but I do promise that I'll treat each of these as a term paper, or the like. I will provide sources, I will put the information together in a simple and concise fashion, and I'll let doubt stay where it should. This is not an exit story, nor is it the reasons I left. These issues with the church should be more widely known, especially by anyone who does not 'fit in' with the church, is leaving, has left, or is struggling and perhaps SHOULD leave the church. Same goes for BYU students. I'm still firm in my stance of not trying to deconvert random people, but like I mentioned in the first segment on The Big 5, I get a little annoyed when people say they think the church could be true, or that they know "everything" when they don't.
Lastly, I do feel fine posting things like this because ultimately these topics won't deconvert people away from Mormonism. People somehow know a lot about the BoA and just set it on their shelf of things to 'not think about.' However, I find very few people, who still believe or WANT to believe, know a lot about a lot, such as a lot about these listed topics. My goal will be to lay them out for anyone in a simple order for anyone curious. It may be a little while before one comes out, I'm sure it will take several hours to write each one up (though I've done a lot of research already) and so, as always, don't hold your breath waiting for me.

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. If you'll permit a suggestion: you should write an article about the unfairness atheist BYU students face in regards to changing their religious status. Anyone can convert to LDS, but if anyone ever chooses to leave the church, they are penalized with being expelled from BYU. Is that religious freedom? I'm completely certain that if it were allowed, a lot of students would "come out" and add to the diversity and legitimacy of BYU as a learning institution. I've attempted to write on the subject on my new and hatchling blog: http://byuatheists.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. But don't forget, he reached into the ground and pulled out those GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLDEN plates! Oh Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you hear there's a 12 word sentence you can say to your crush... that will trigger intense emotions of love and impulsive attractiveness to you deep inside his chest?

    Because deep inside these 12 words is a "secret signal" that triggers a man's instinct to love, look after and protect you with all his heart...

    12 Words That Trigger A Man's Love Response

    This instinct is so hardwired into a man's brain that it will drive him to work harder than ever before to make your relationship the best part of both of your lives.

    In fact, triggering this powerful instinct is so essential to achieving the best possible relationship with your man that once you send your man one of the "Secret Signals"...

    ...You'll immediately notice him expose his mind and heart to you in such a way he never experienced before and he will see you as the one and only woman in the galaxy who has ever truly fascinated him.

    ReplyDelete